First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has taken time to comment on my post. I have been quite bitter and for lack of a better word, "annoyed" with this book from the very beginning. Reading everyone's posts has helped me finally see the bigger picture and the lessons I have learned thus far from reading the book.
I have been so caught up with trying to prove the author wrong since I began reading this book, that I am afraid that I may have lost sight of what the big picture is. Yes, society has changed - we are not like our grandparents, but is that such a bad thing? The author drills into us that we as a society are less likely to participate in organized community activities, which in turn lowers our social capital. I find it interesting that the author does not think that parents volunteering in kids organized activities constitutes as a legitimate way of building social capital. I wonder if he ever had a son in Little League.
By many measures, my grandparent's generation was truly great. But to compare subsequent generations to that is not fair. Technology and world events are always evolving and changing, forcing us to adapt. I find it silly how the author tries to find the root cause of this change. It is a sum of many factors that are so inter-woven.
Wow, you are so right that being involved in kids' activities like sports is a way to make social connections!! I can't believe the author discounts this!!
ReplyDeleteKelly question here, could you explain how not being community oriented lower social capital? When I think of how involved I have been with my kids and all their activities I also wonder what the author was thinking.
ReplyDeleteKelly,
ReplyDeleteHow frustrating, especially considering how long your choice is. I have to admit when reading a book I don't like, I still have to finish it. I keep thinking - it has to get better. Granted that's not always the case :o), but I hope it is for you. And, great point about the kids activities, I definitely agree. Hang in there . . .